Traditionally, the land of our state has been the basis for much of Iowa’s economy. As more urban, commercial and industrial uses emerge, there are bound to be challenges. Our experienced attorneys can help negotiate the myriad of laws, regulations and procedural steps relating to land use, property issues, eminent domain and environmental concerns. Clients include corporations, privately-held businesses, agri-businesses, municipalities, educational institutions and individuals.
Real Estate Law
Our attorneys are experienced in a variety of legal issues related to the acquisition and use of real property. We provide complete and comprehensive legal services in all methods and aspects of real estate acquisition or sale, including acquisition by purchase and sale agreements, acquisition by eminent domain, lease agreements, financing of real estate acquisitions, and negotiation of contracts for demolition and construction. As part of these comprehensive services, we are experienced in the review of abstracts and drafting of title opinions, and the preparation of deeds and other transactional documents.
Our attorneys are experienced in providing regulatory compliance with both federal and state laws, structuring transactions to protect purchasers from environmental liabilities, and working with enforcement agencies on both federal and state levels. We defend our clients in cases of regulatory or citizen enforcement actions. We also assist our clients in commenting on new environmental rules and legislation which may impact them.
We have represented entities with regulatory compliance and administrative enforcement for asbestos and underground storage tanks, as well as with contaminated properties. Our work also includes representation in negotiations and/or litigation related to remediation of environmental concerns under federal and state law or with other responsible parties, including CERCLA (commonly known as SUPERFUND).
- Representing buyers, sellers, landlords and tenants in commercial real estate transactions
- Drafting documents related to real estate transactions, including purchase agreements, leases, closing documents, options and exchanges
- Advising and representing industrial, municipal and educational institutions in compliance issues arising from both Iowa and federal environmental law
- Representing industrial, municipal and educational institutions in negotiation and/or appeal of water and land use permits, including construction permits, NPDES permits, and landfill permits
- Provide real estate expertise in connection with New Markets Tax Credits transactions, including due diligence review of title and survey matters, and other real estate due diligence matters
- Assist in drafting real estate mortgages, intercreditor agreements, UCC financing statements and other security instruments with respect to private activity bond and New Markets Tax Credits transactions