100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309
J.D. (with Honors), Drake University, 2006
B.A. (with Distinction), Iowa State University, 2002
With a background in municipal law, Kristine joined Ahlers & Cooney in 2017 in the Government Law Practice Area. Her practice focuses on representing cities, counties, utilities, and other public entities in the exercise of their powers and in litigation. Her experience in litigation includes trying cases before administrative agencies, at the district court level, and before the Iowa Court of Appeals.
In her general municipal practice, she counsels clients in all aspects of their operations, such as policy development, risk avoidance, public bidding, public records, open meetings, annexation, eminent domain, and more. She also reviews and prepares contracts, ordinances, agreements and resolutions.
Prior to joining the Ahlers firm, Kristine served as the City Attorney for the City of Bettendorf, Iowa, and as an Assistant City Attorney for the City of Ames, Iowa. As an in-house municipal lawyer, she advised elected officials, department heads and staff on legal matters, and represented the cities in administrative, district court and appellate actions. In Bettendorf, she also served as the chief negotiator in labor negotiations with four separate bargaining units. After law school, Kristine worked as a Staff Attorney for the Legal Aid Society of Story County in Iowa, and as a Deputy Public Defender for Ada County in Boise, Idaho.
- Negotiated and drafted development agreements that included city incentives for a land-based casino expansion project, and an indoor/outdoor sports complex project, among others.
- Assisted with the development of a hybrid zoning ordinance which included intensity-based zoning districts in addition to traditional Euclidian zoning categories.
- Defended property tax appeals on behalf of a city assessor’s office before the Property Assessment Appeal Board.
- Defended city in discrimination complaint actions filed with the Iowa Civil Rights Commission.
- Prosecuted municipal infractions and simple misdemeanor criminal cases.
Iowa State Bar Association
Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association
International Municipal Lawyers Association
Ferguson Prize, Silver Award, Drake Law School, 2006
Public Service Scholarship recipient, Drake Law School
Kristine's most recent speaking engagements include:
American Public Works Association- Iowa Chapter, Spring Conference, "Iowa Civil Service" with Maria Brownell and Jim Wainwright, April 2018
Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association, Annual Seminar, "Case Law Update," November 2017
Iowa Association of Municipal Utilities, Municipal Utilities Law 101 Workshop, “Open Meetings & Open Records,” October 2017
Kristine has also conducted internal employee training sessions on the topics of ethics, purchasing and open records.
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Iowa Legal Aid, Volunteer Intake Attorney
Rotary Club of Des Moines AM
Bettendorf Rotary Club, 2013-2017