John H. Bunz
100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309-2231
J.D. (with Honors), Drake University, 1990
B.A., Luther College, 1987
John practices in the area of public finance and also works on finance matters within the Higher Education practice group. He has experience serving as bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, bank counsel and borrower's counsel in various revenue bond financings, including those related to higher education, public power, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living centers, and governmental and 501c(3) hospitals. John also has experience with new markets tax credit transactions.
John has been involved with facilities financings encompassing a wide variety of financing techniques and structures. Higher Education facilities financed include every type of capital improvement seen on college campuses, including dormitories, stadiums, research facilities and academic buildings. John also has broad experience with student loan revenue bond financing programs, and is bond counsel to many of the Iowa community colleges with respect to the Iowa New Jobs Training Program.
Prior to joining the firm’s Public Finance department, he practiced in-house with the Principal Financial Group, as a staff attorney with The Marley Company in Kansas City, and as an associate with the law firm of Shugart, Thompson and Kilroy (k/n/a Posinelli) in Overland Park, Kansas.
After law school, he served as law clerk to Justice K. David Harris of the Iowa Supreme Court. John currently serves on the Firm's Management Committee.
A sample of recent matters and closings John has completed include the following:
- Worked with Iowa Community Development on the New Market Tax Credit program resulting in an allocation of $767,000 to the Hoyt Sherman Place Foundation in support of its new building expansion project
- Completed the last issuance of approximately $100 million worth of flood mitigation bonds to assist a large university in connection with rebuilding its campus after massive flooding
- Assisted with the creation of a new "on-behalf" of nonprofit corporation to provide for the issuance of tax exempt bonds in order to assist a university to construct a state-of-the-art research facility
- Closed a P3 student housing restructuring/refinancing for students of a private university whereby such indebtedness was classified "off balance sheet"
- Worked on a P3 transaction resulting in the construction of an events center convention hotel
- Completed a $1.6 billion auction rate bond restructuring involving the simultaneous closing of several transactions
- The successful handling of an IRS inquiry with respect to previously issued tax exempt bonds
- Completed the refinancing of a $450,000,000 conduit facility for a student loan issuer
- Closed several New Market Tax Credit financing for the benefit of construction of homes for low income families, an urban grocery store located in a food desert, a rural manufacturing facility, and an urban social club
- A new $190,000,000 children's hospital revenue bond financing
American Bar Association
Iowa State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Best Lawyers in America© - Public Finance Law (2013-2019)
Des Moines Lawyer of the Year 2019
John's most recent speaking engagements include:
National Association of Bond Lawyers, The Workshop, “Basic overview of Opportunity Zones” and “Community Redevelopment with New Markets, Historic, Energy Tax Credits and Other Incentives,” September 2019
Ahlers & Cooney, Post Issuance Compliance for Bonds Client Seminar, "Primary Market Disclosure; Role of Disclosure Counsel," October 2016
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Dallas County Compensation Board
Dallas County Board of Adjustment
Luther College Alumni Council
Iowa Legal Aid, Volunteer Intake Attorney
Des Moines Golf and Country Club, Board of Directors
Faith Lutheran Church, Council Member (President)