Jason L. Comisky
100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309
J.D., University of Iowa, 2007
B.A. (Cum Laude), Drake University, 2004
A.A.S. (Highest Honors), Hawkeye Community College, 2002
Jason Comisky is the firm’s Business Entities Practice Group Leader and a member of the firm’s Public Law and Private Law practice areas. He has also served as the Procurement and Contracting Practice Group Leader for the firm. Within the Public Law practice area, Jason works closely with cities and counties on urban renewal and economic development issues, such as creating and amending urban renewal plans, drafting development agreements, and analyzing tax issues. He is focused on assisting clients with creative ways to maintain, renew and revitalize their communities. Jason partners with clients to develop a sound strategy to provide incentives to companies relocating and creating new jobs in the community.
In addition to economic development issues, Jason assists Iowa cities and counties with municipal finance issues, special assessments and public construction bidding.
Within the Private Law practice area, Jason provides general legal services to small businesses and individuals, such as mergers and acquisitions, business formations, contracts, estate planning, estate administration, and real estate transactions.
Prior to joining Ahlers & Cooney, Jason practiced law in Dubuque and Fort Dodge, Iowa, where he represented private-sector clients in a wide range of matters. Jason was born and raised in Osage, Iowa. He earned his A.A.S. degree from Hawkeye Community College in Civil & Construction Engineering Technology, which provides a nice foundation for his legal work. He earned his B.A. degree from Drake University and then went on to earn his J.D. degree from the University of Iowa College of Law.
- Assisted multiple clients with equipment acquisition financing.
- Counseled municipal clients in capital improvement projects including streets, sanitary sewer, storm sewer and water projects.
- Advise cities and counties concerning Iowa law on economic development and urban renewal in order to help them establish thriving business environments in their communities and create new job opportunities
- Guide clients through the process of establishing and amending urban renewal plans
- Consult with city and county staff to strategically analyze and draft development agreements
Corporate and Business
- Provide advice to small businesses including entity formation, implementation of operating agreements, financing, mergers and acquisitions
- Guide multiple clients through purchase and sale of business assets
- Counseled borrower in $75,000,000 senior, secured credit facility comprised of $50,000,000 term loan facility and $25,000,000 revolving loan facility
Estate Planning and Estate Administration
- Preparation of estate plans for individuals and their families including wills, trust agreements and powers of attorney
- Efficiently settle probate and trust estates including fiduciary income tax returns, inheritance tax returns and estate tax returns
- Advise and consult individuals and their families with respect to asset protection and Medicaid issues
Real Estate Transactions
- Provided assistance to private university in the negotiation, sale and subsequent development of large mixed-use development.
- Represent clients in the purchase, sale and lease of commercial and residential real estate
- Prepare residential purchase agreements, installment sale contracts, leases, options and rights of first refusal
American Bar Association
Iowa State Bar Association
Illinois State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association
Iowa Rural Development Council
Jason's most recent speaking engagements include:
Iowa State University, 2019 Iowa Municipal Professionals Institute, “Financing Options and Economic Development,” with Jenna Bishop, Maria Brownell and Kristin Cooper, July 2019
Iowa State University, Iowa Municipal Professionals Institute, "Urban Renewal/ Urban Revitalization," July 2018
Iowa League of Cities, Fall Budget Workshop, "Economic Development Strategies and Incentive Options," November 2017
Iowa League of Cities, Annual Conference, “Using Urban Renewal Tools to Promote Growth,” September 2017
Iowa State University, Iowa Municipal Professionals Institute, "Development Agreements," 2015 - 2017
Iowa League of Cities, Legislative Day, "Urban Renewal/Economic Development 101," February 2015
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Iowa Legal Aid, Volunteer Intake Attorney
Ankeny Izaak Walton League
Tri-State Estate Planning Council