Danielle J. Haindfield
100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309-2231
All Iowa Courts
U.S. District Courts – Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
U.S. Court of Appeals – Eighth Circuit
J.D. (High Honors), Drake University, 1999
B.A. (Magna Cum Laude), Drake University, 1996
As a member of the firm’s K-12 Education Law group, Danielle enjoys serving school districts in a variety of capacities, including: counseling on student and personnel issues, such as student discipline and employee misconduct; performing contract and policy review; conducting real estate transactions; and advising on basic board governance issues, such as open meeting and records laws. Danielle serves as general counsel to the Iowa Association of School Business Officials (IASBO), and as a result, gets the unique opportunity to meet, work with and teach many of the state’s school board secretaries, business managers and other school business office personnel.
Danielle has developed an emphasis in the area of construction law. Danielle’s knowledge and experience in construction law has also been utilized by the other departments in the firm, including the Public Finance & Law department, as a way to provide a broader range of service to the firm’s existing municipal and local government clients.
Danielle attended Drake University where she was a public relations major and then went on to attend Drake University Law School. While in law school, Danielle served as Articles Editor for the Drake Law Review and President of the Drake Moot Court Board. She is an honorary member of the Order of the Barristers and graduated Order of the Coif.
Danielle joined the firm in 1996, after clerking with the firm in law school. Danielle has served as past chair of the firm’s Recruiting Committee and Associate Development Committee and currently serves on the firm's Management Committee.
- Successfully defended the second largest school district in the state against a temporary injunction action brought by the unsuccessful bidder alleging violations of Iowa's Competitive Bidding Law on the school district's 3 phase $31 million dollar administrative building project.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement, prior to suit, in favor of an Iowa school district for claims of breach of contract, fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation, and negligence against a nationwide consulting firm, arising out of a superintendent search.
- Represented the largest school district in the state throughout its comprehensive ten-year school improvement program which involved more than $240 million in school renovations and new construction. Throughout this ten-year program, drafted and negotiated the RFP and contract documents for the hiring of the school district’s construction program manager, reviewed, revised and updated various construction contract forms for compliance with changes in the law, defended the school district in litigation related to construction claims and advised and counseled the district and its in-house counsel on various bidding and other construction related issues.
- Performed a mid-year, cause termination of a school district superintendent and, subsequently, successfully defended the school district against more than ten different claims filed against it by the terminated employee, including Civil Rights claims, unemployment claims, workers’ compensation claims, civil property claims and professional disciplinary complaints.
- Successfully defended a federal trial court’s ruling on behalf of a school district before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. The Court affirmed the trial court’s ruling that the school district upheld its financial responsibilities of a contractual agreement and did not owe additional sums to a construction program manager/owner representative for services it provided at its own risk. Rambo Associates, Inc. v. South Tama County Community School District, 487 F.3d 1178 *8th Cir. 2007; 512 F.3d 998 (8th Cir. 2008).
- Represented a municipal public library through the construction of a multi-million dollar library renovation project. The representation included the preparation of various RFPs for professional service providers, the drafting and negotiating of the architect and construction manager agreements, and the review of several other contracts for services ranging from signage work to a temporary relocation facility for thousands of library books.
- Successfully defended, on appeal before the Iowa Department of Education, a school district’s local decision to close an elementary attendance center due to declining enrollment and increased budgetary costs.
American Bar Association -- Sections: State and Local Government Law, Construction Law
Iowa State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
National Council of School Attorneys
Iowa Council of School Attorneys
Association of School Business Officials International
Iowa Association of School Business Officials
American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Business Record, feature on women business leaders, March 2017
Business Record, Forty Under 40 – Class of 2013
Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute, Class of 2013-2014
Super Lawyers, Rising Star
Iowa State Bar Association, Graduating Senior Award, June 1999
Danielle's most recent speaking engagement include:
Iowa Municipal Finance Officers Association, Spring Conference, “RFQ’s, RFP’s, Public Bidding, oh my!,” April 2019
Iowa Association of School Business Officials, Spring Conference, “Best Practices in Construction Projects” with Dubuque Schools' CFOand Director of Buildings and Grounds,“Board Secretary 101.5,” and “RFP and Competitive Bidding,” March 2019
Iowa Superintendents Finance & Leadership Consortium, 2019 February Conference, “Managing Your Budget Through Salary Schedules, Insurance and Other Means,” February 2019
Iowa Municipal New City Attorney Institute, "Competitive Bidding," November 2018
Iowa Association of School Business Officials, Fall Conference, "Buying and Selling Property and School Boundary Issues","Dealing with Difficult Citizens and Parent Complaints," October 2018
Iowa Association of School Business Officials, Fall Conference, "Ethics and Legal Considerations for School Business Officials," October 2018
Iowa School Business Management Academy, Meeting "Basic Governance, Legal System Applied to School Districts and Annual Legal & Legislative Update," May 2017
School Administrators of Iowa, School Law Conference, “Student and Employee Mental Health Issues” with Miriam Van Heukelem, February 2017
Published Articles & Books
ABC's of Public Contract Bidding and Construction Law", Contributing Author/Editor, Ahlers & Cooney, P.C., Anticipated Publication Spring 2012
“School Violence: From Discipline to Due Process,” Contributing Author/Editor, American Bar Association, 2004
“Wall of Separation or Path to Interaction, the Uncertain Constitutional Future of School Vouchers in Light of Inconsistent Developments in Judicial Neutrality Between Church and State,” 48 Drake Law Review 403, 2000
“America’s Children at Risk,” Contributing Author, American Bar Association, 2000
“Handbook on Iowa Open Meetings and Open Records Law,” Contributing Author/Editor, Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Drake University Law School, Board of Counselors (2017 - present)
National School Boards Association, Council of School Attorneys, Board of Directors (2012-2016)
Iowa Council of School Attorneys, Executive Board (2008-Present), Chair (2009-10, 2015-2016)
New Horizon's Preschool, Board of Directors (2013-2016)
Iowa School Business Management Academy-Iowa State University, Instructor (2004 - present)
Drake Law Women Advisory Board Member (2012-2013)
Iowa Legal Aid, Volunteer Intake Attorney (1999 - present)
Leadership Circle Member, United Way of Central Iowa