Ann M. Smisek
100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309
J.D. (With Distinction), University of Iowa, 2007
B.A., University of Iowa, 1999
Ann Smisek joined the firm in 2014 and works in the firm’s Government Law and Education Law Practice Areas. Ann counsels clients on various personnel matters regarding hiring, disciplining, and terminating employees, as well as how to conduct workplace investigations. She advises on compliance with applicable state and federal regulations, and reviews handbooks to provide recommendations on legal compliance and best practices. Ann also advises clients on labor issues, representing employers in collective bargaining agreement negotiations, in cases before the Public Employment Relations Board, and in grievance arbitrations.
Prior to Ahlers & Cooney, she served as an Administrative Law Judge for the Iowa Public Employment Relations Board (IPERB). She conducted prehearing conferences and presided at contested case hearings concerning labor and employment disputes. She performed legal research and issued proposed rulings on pre-hearing motions and on the merits of cases. She handled administrative appeals before the district court, Iowa Court of Appeals and Iowa Supreme Court regarding negotiability disputes. She also acted as a mediator to help settle cases and assist in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements.
Prior to the IPERB and upon graduation from law school, she worked 3-1/2 years as a Judicial Law Clerk for former Chief Judge Rosemary Shaw Sackett at the Iowa Court of Appeals. Before law school, Ann started her career in scientific publishing where she oversaw and managed the editorial review and publication process of academic medical research articles. Ann grew up in Mitchellville, Iowa and while at the University of Iowa College of Law, served on the Iowa Law Review.
- Negotiated first year contract with newly formed bargaining unit on behalf of school district.
- Performed workplace investigations and advised employer on issuing and carrying out discipline.
- Advised employers through employee termination process and negotiated resignation and release agreements.
- Represented employers in prohibited practice complaints and unit determination proceedings before the Public Employment Relations Board.
- Provide trainings to employers on sexual harassment, discipline and discharge, workplace investigations, and open meetings law.
Prior work while serving as an Administrative Law Judge at the Iowa Public Employment Relations Board
- Issued rulings on motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment in prohibited practice and State employee grievance and discipline cases filed with the Iowa Public Employment Relations Board.
- Issued proposed decisions and orders on merits of amendment of unit cases, prohibited practice cases, and State employee grievance and discipline cases filed with the Iowa Public Employment Relations Board.
- Represented the Iowa Public Employment Relations Board in administrative appeals before the district court, Iowa Court of Appeals and Iowa Supreme Court regarding negotiability disputes.
- AFSCME Iowa Council 61 & State of Iowa v. PERB, 846 N.W.2d 873 (Iowa 2014)
- State of Iowa, Board of Regents & UNI-United Faculty v. PERB, Court of Appeals No. 13-1669 (December 24, 2014)
- Represented the Iowa Public Employment Relations Board in rulemaking proceedings before the Administrative Rules Review Committee.
American Bar Association
Iowa State Bar Association – Administrative Law Section Council
Polk County Bar Association
Iowa Organization of Women Attorneys
Polk County Women Attorneys
Blackstone Inn of Court, Barrister
Ann's most recent speaking engagements include:
Iowa Association of School Business Officials, Webinar, "Collective Bargaining and Negotiations" with Aaron Hilligas, November 2018 & December 2017
Ahlers & Cooney P.C., Employment Law Client Seminar, "Sexual Harassment in the #MeToo Era" with Miriam Van Heukelem, October 2018
Iowa League of Cities, Annual Conference, "Public Employees and Off- Duty Speech" with Aaron Hilligas, September 2018
Kossuth County Human Resources, "Sexual Harassment in the Workplace," June 2018
Dubuque Area Labor Management Council, "Social Media in the Workplace" with Mike Galloway, June 2018
Iowa Rural Water Association, Annual Conference, "Off-Duty Employee Speech" with Aaron Hilligas, February 2018
Ahlers & Cooney, Employment Law Client Seminar, "Hot Topics Panel", November 2017
Iowa Association of Municipal Utilities, Municipal Utilities Law 101 Workshop, “Employment Issues” with James Hanks,October 2017
IAPELRA Annual Conference, “How Do We Respond to the Revised Chapter 20, Certification Elections and PERB Rulings” and “Chapter 20, HR Responsibilities in New Open Records Law, Weapons in Public Buildings,” with Jim Hanks and Aaron Hilligas, September 2017
Published Articles & Books
Iowa Association of School Business Officials, Counsel’s Corner, "Current Issues in Collective Bargaining: Early Retirement Programs & Supplemental Pay," 2014
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Iowa Legal Aid, Volunteer Intake Attorney
Iowa Organization of Women Attorneys – Professional Action Chair, 2008-2010; President, 2010-2012; Newsletter Chair, 2013
Polk County Women Attorneys – Board Member, 2008-2010
Children & Families of Iowa, Tango Planning Committee, 2015 - present
Junior High Mock Trial, Volunteer Judge
Chrysalis Foundation, Grant Review Team 2014