Andrew T. Tice
100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309-2231
J.D. (Cum Laude), University of Illinois, 2001
B.A., Iowa State University, 1998
Andrew currently leads the Private Law Practice Area for the firm. Since law school, Andrew has spent his career working at Ahlers & Cooney in the areas of Litigation and Employment & Labor Law. Andrew spends the majority of his time counseling clients through all types of litigation in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels and before many national, state and local administrative agencies.
In the litigation arena, Andrew has handled widely varied claims involving such things as construction/surety concerns/claims, commercial contract disputes, product liability claims, fire and explosion investigations/claims, insurance bad faith claims, aviation accidents, libel and slander claims, premises liability claims, and automobile accidents. Andrew has spent a significant amount of time defending product liability claims affecting such industries as: consumer products, industrial machinery and equipment, agricultural machinery, commercial products, and transportation and trucking.
In the employment arena, Andrew’s experience has been in responding to allegations of wrongful actions and/or injuries in the workplace. He has handled claims alleging all types of discrimination, harassment or retaliation under state and federal law, breach of express and implied contracts including non-compete and non-solicitation provisions, violations of public policy, defamation, promissory estoppel, interference with contract, blacklisting and other related claims. He has also defended both self-insured and insured employers when confronted with allegations of workplace injuries involving sizable exposures for monetary awards.
During law school, he clerked for Iowa District Court judges Joel D. Novak and Richard G. Blane II. At the same time, Andrew clerked with the Iowa Supreme Court research attorneys.
- Acted as lead counsel for multiple agricultural implement dealerships in obtaining favorable dismissals of product liability and negligence claims related to allegedly faulty equipment, service work and delivery practices.
- Acted as lead counsel in obtaining partial summary judgment and an eventual defense jury verdict relative to real property damage claims related to a water management construction project.
- Acted as lead counsel in obtaining a defense verdict following a 3-arbiter panel arbitration regarding a dispute pertaining to a multi-million dollar hotel and casino renovation and construction project.
- Successfully intervened into simultaneous court and state agency challenges in order to retain a $130 million award of a construction project to a large nationwide general contractor.
- Obtained administrative closure of multiple actions against employers, large and small, before the Iowa Civil Rights Commission and United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission involving claims of race, age, sex, and disability discrimination and harassment and retaliation.
- Obtained many favorable defense rulings in workers’ compensation claims against self-insured and insured employers.
American Bar Association
Iowa State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Iowa Defense Counsel Association
Iowa Association of Business & Industry
Greater Des Moines Partnership
AV-Preeminent Peer-review Martindale Hubbell Rating
5.0/5.0 Client-review Martindale Hubbell Rating
Super Lawyers Great Plains, Rising Stars - Civil Litigation: Defense (2013-2015)
Best Lawyers in America©, Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants (2013-2019)
Andrew's most recent speaking engagements include:
The Harmonie Group - Next Gen seminar, "Ride Sharing," August 2017
Published Articles & Books
Iowa Defense Counsel Association, Defense Update, "Medicare's New Rules for 2010," Author, 2010
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Iowa Legal Aid, Volunteer Intake Attorney
Christ The King, Finance Council
City of Des Moines Housing Appeals Board (2004-2011, Chair 2008-2011)
City of Des Moines Human Rights Commission (2011-2012)
Heart Connection of Iowa, Development Committee