Andrew T. Tice
100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309-2231
All Iowa Courts
U.S. District Courts – Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
U.S. Court of Appeals – Eighth Circuit
J.D. (Cum Laude), University of Illinois, 2001
B.A., Iowa State University, 1998
Since law school, Andrew has spent his career working at Ahlers & Cooney in the areas of Litigation and Employment & Labor Law. Andrew spends the majority of his time counseling clients through all types of litigation in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels and before many national, state and local administrative agencies. He currently chairs the firm's Litigation Practice Group, and previously has served as chair of the Private Law Practice Area.
In the litigation arena, Andrew has experience handling widely varied claims as lead counsel through all aspects of administrative or judicial proceedings on the state and federal levels. He has handled cases involving such things as construction/surety concerns/claims, commercial contract disputes, product liability claims, fire and explosion investigations/claims, insurance bad faith claims, aviation accidents, libel and slander claims, premises liability claims, and automobile accidents. Andrew has handled significant product liability claims affecting such industries as: consumer products, industrial machinery and equipment, agricultural machinery, commercial products, and transportation and trucking. He has devoted time to defending various forms of personal injury claims asserted against retail stores, automobile and agricultural dealerships, and convenience stores.
In the employment arena, Andrew has spent a significant amount of time defending large and small employers, public and private, in employment and labor disputes including publishable cases in the Iowa Supreme Court and Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. Andrew’s experience has been in responding to allegations of wrongful actions and/or injuries in the workplace. He regularly defends workers’ compensation claims on behalf of employers of all types including both self-insured clients and through various insurance carriers. He has handled claims alleging all types of discrimination, harassment or retaliation under state and federal law, breach of express and implied contracts including non-compete and non-solicitation provisions, violations of public policy, defamation, promissory estoppel, interference with contract, blacklisting and other related claims.
During law school, he clerked for Iowa District Court judges Joel D. Novak and Richard G. Blane II. At the same time, Andrew clerked with the Iowa Supreme Court research attorneys.
- Acted as lead counsel for multiple agricultural implement dealerships in obtaining favorable dismissals of product liability and negligence claims related to allegedly faulty equipment, service work and delivery practices.
- Acted as lead counsel in obtaining partial summary judgment and an eventual defense jury verdict relative to real property damage claims related to a water management construction project.
- Acted as lead counsel in obtaining a defense verdict following a 3-arbiter panel arbitration regarding a dispute pertaining to a multi-million dollar hotel and casino renovation and construction project.
- Successfully intervened into simultaneous court and state agency challenges in order to retain a $130 million award of a construction project to a large nationwide general contractor.
- Obtained administrative closure of multiple actions against employers, large and small, before the Iowa Civil Rights Commission and United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission involving claims of race, age, sex, and disability discrimination and harassment and retaliation.
- Obtained many favorable defense rulings in workers’ compensation claims against self-insured and insured employers.
American Bar Association
Iowa State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Iowa Defense Counsel Association
Iowa Association of Business & Industry
Greater Des Moines Partnership
Martindale-Hubbell® – AV-Preeminent® Rating
Best Lawyers in America©
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (2013-2023)
- Workers' Compensation Law - Employers (2020-2023)
- Litigation - Labor and Employment (2021-2023)
- Litigation - Construction (2023)
Super Lawyers Great Plains - Civil Litigation: Defense (2022, Rising Star 2013-2015)
The Harmonie Group - Next Gen seminar, "Ride Sharing," August 2017
Published Articles & Books
Iowa Defense Counsel Association, Defense Update, "Medicare's New Rules for 2010," Author, 2010
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Christ The King, Finance Council
Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute, Class of 2010-2011
City of Des Moines Housing Appeals Board (2004-2011, Chair 2008-2011)
City of Des Moines Human Rights Commission (2011-2012)
Heart Connection of Iowa, Development Committee