The attorneys in the Business Entities Practice Group bring a depth of experience in assisting clients in all aspects of business structure and analysis. We advise in the formation of all types of business entities and selection of the proper structure to accomplish the objectives of the client, including corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, proprietorships and agricultural cooperatives. For tax-exempt organizations, we work with clients on establishing tax-exempt status, compliance with applicable laws, and the structuring of entities to accomplish the tax-exempt purpose.
We provide general business representation which requires ongoing consultation on business and financial matters, preparation of legal documents, and advice to officers and boards of directors. Our attorneys handle the negotiation, drafting and review of all types of business contracts, including all aspects of financial transactions, real estate transactions, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions and various regulatory agreements.
- Business acquisitions and dispositions for closely-held businesses; transactions have ranged from tens of millions of dollars to smaller transactions for closely-held businesses
- Facilitate the winding down of business operations, including the sale and liquidation of assets
- Advising tax-exempt organizations with respect to their unique compensation, retirement planning, and welfare benefits issues, including particularly with compliance under Internal Revenue Code sections 403(b) plans, 457(b) “eligible” plans, and 457(f) “ineligible” plans, and the application of Code section 409A
- Representation of lenders, borrowers, investors and developers in connection with a broad range of financial transactions, including asset-based lending, real estate acquisitions and development, construction loans, credit-tenant lease financing, trade finances, transactions involving new market and tax credits, and private equity investments
- Advising on corporate board and compliance issues, including reporting and disclosure issues, corporate governance matters and private placements of debt securities