Randall H. Stefani
100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309
J.D. (with Distinction), University of Iowa, 1981
B.B.A., University of Iowa, 1978
Randy is a member of the firm’s Private Law and Public Law Practice Areas, with a focus on Litigation. Randy has over 35 years of litigation experience, including extensive experience in both state and federal courts throughout Iowa. He has lead counsel experience and has been involved in complex commercial litigation, employment litigation, and personal injury litigation. He has been admitted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and also as a Fellow of the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers.
Randy has handled cases involving industrial machinery and equipment, commercial properties, transportation and trucking, professional liability (including law, accounting, medicine, architecture, insurance agents E&O) and construction. He has also represented physicians before the Iowa Board of Medicine.
Randy was born in Des Moines, Iowa. He passed the certified public accountant examination and received his CPA certificate in 1980. After graduation from the University of Iowa Law School, Randy joined the firm in 1981 and has been continuously practicing with the firm since that time.
- Successfully argued a motion to set aside a $5,000,000 default judgment.
- Successfully obtained a reversal on appeal of a district court ruling which had refused to grant the firm’s client a discharge for $137,000 the client had paid to the IRS pursuant to an IRS levy that had been served on the client on account of unpaid tax liens of the plaintiff in the case. Including interest and attorney fees, the ruling on the appeal saved the client approx. $225,000.
- Successfully obtained a defense jury verdict in a week-long jury trial in an employment discrimination case.
- Obtained a favorable verdict defending a lawyer accused of legal malpractice following a three-week trial in Cerro Gordo County, Iowa. The firm's client had been accused of negligence after a land transaction the defendant lawyer had structured was found void by a bankruptcy judge as a fraudulent conveyance. The plaintiffs also claimed that the defendant was liable with two co-defendants on a theory of concert of action for termination of the plaintiff's employment contract that had been put in place in connection with the land transfer. The jury found no liability on the part of the firm's client and also awarded the client $12,000 on his counterclaim for outstanding unpaid fees still due from the plaintiffs.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for a local area community college in an employment discrimination case brought by a former college vice president. The judgment was affirmed on appeal to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- In a highly-publicized employment retaliation case, obtained pre-trial rulings dismissing most of the plaintiff's claims and excluding the plaintiff's liability expert from testifying at trial.
- Obtained judgment for a commercial property owner for necessary repair and expense and also successfully pursued a claim for attorney fees following a bench trial.
American Bar Association
Iowa State Bar
Polk County Bar Association
Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
Martindale-Hubbell® – AV® Rating
American College of Trial Lawyers – Fellow, elected in 2011
The ACTL is composed of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada and is widely considered to be the premier professional trial organization in North America. The ACTL currently includes approximately 5,800 members, representing only 1% of lawyers in each state.
Best Lawyers in America© (2007-2020)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation (2007-2020)
- Des Moines Lawyer of the Year, Bet-the-Company Litigation (2017)
- Commercial Litigation (2007-2020)
- Construction Law (2020)
- Des Moines Lawyer of the Year, Construction Law (2020)
- Professional Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs (2013-2020)
Chambers USA – Litigation: General Commercial (2009-2020)
Super Lawyers Great Plains - General Litigation (2007-2019)
Over the years, Randy has presented on a variety of topics for a range of organizations:
Ahlers & Cooney, Employment Law Client Seminar, "Top 5 Mistakes Employers Make That Get Them Sued and What They Do Wrong Once They Get Sued" with Drew Bracken, November 2017
Ahlers and Cooney, Employment Law Client Seminar, “Responding to Employment Litigation” with Lindsay Vaught, November 2016
Iowa Defense Counsel Trial Academy, Faculty member
Iowa State Bar Association, Bridge the Gap Seminar Panelist
Published Articles & Books
Agents of America, E&O Prevention e-newsletter, co-authored with David Luginbill, “Iowa Supreme Court Heightens Duty Owed by an Insurance Agent,” January 27, 2011
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Iowa Legal Aid, Volunteer Intake Attorney
Des Moines Golf & Country Club, Board of Directors (2002-2008, President 2007)
Riverfront YMCA, Board of Managers (1998-2000)