John D. Hintze
100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309-2231
J.D. (with Distinction), University of Iowa, 1973
B.B.A. (with Distinction), University of Iowa, 1970
Practicing law for over 40 years, John has a breadth of experience in the myriad of transactions required by businesses of all sizes. He works closely with the firm’s Public Finance practice area on sophisticated transactions and business services for public and municipal entities.
As a strategic business partner with his clients, he has experience with business formations, mergers and acquisitions, real estate transactions, tax-exempt organizations, tax planning, estate planning and corporate securities. John was an undergraduate accounting major and has a strong financial background, including passing the CPA exam. While not practicing as an accountant, he has a significant background in dealing with the structuring and implementation of sophisticated financial transactions.
Prior to joining the firm in 1994, he was Senior Vice President and General Counsel for Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. from 1989 to 1994. His responsibilities were extensive for Pioneer’s worldwide legal, regulatory and government matters and for operations within the company. From 1973 to 1989, he was in private practice.
- Business acquisitions and dispositions for publicly-traded corporations, venture capital firms and closely-held businesses. Transactions have ranged from tens of millions of dollars requiring Hart-Scott-Rodino antitrust approval to smaller transactions for closely-held businesses.
- Facilitated the winding down of venture capital operations, including the sale and liquidation of portfolio companies. Worked with investors in the venture capital firms regarding follow-on investment opportunities and chances for additional venture capital investments.
- Completed corporate finance and securities transactions, including SEC registrations and private placement offerings. Types of transactions have ranged from residential and commercial real estate to agricultural cooperatives to business ventures.
- Works with the formation and operation of tax-exempt organizations and applicable regulatory compliance. John represents the largest secondary market for student loans in the state of Iowa and provides representation for all aspects of the business, including the negotiation and drafting of contracts to provide various types of financing alternatives.
- Negotiation, drafting and review of all types of business contracts, including all aspects of real estate transactions, joint ventures, business contracts and various regulatory agreements.
- Assists individuals in the transfer of business and personal property intergenerationally with minimization of tax consequences. Consults with clients regarding buy-sell agreements and other methodologies to control the ownership and transfer of business entities. Works with clients to accomplish the transfer of wealth while minimizing the associated tax consequences.
American Bar Association – Sections: Tax; Business & Corporate Law
Iowa State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
Martindale-Hubbell® – AV® Rating
Best Lawyers in America©
- Corporate Law (2008-2022)
- Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2007-2022)
Chambers USA – Corporate/M&A, Iowa
Super Lawyers Magazine, Business Edition (2011)
Drake University Law School, previously served as instructor on wills and trusts and employee benefits
Drake College of Business, Masters of Taxation Program, previously served as instructor on employee benefits
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Over the years, John has held a wide variety of community leadership positions, including:
Blank Park Zoo Foundation, Board of Directors
West Des Moines Community School District, Board of Education, President
Iowa Association of Business and Industry, Board of Directors
Greater Des Moines Partnership, Board of Directors
West Des Moines Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, President
West Des Moines Development Corporation, Board of Directors
West Des Moines Rotary Club, Board of Directors, President