Jeremy R. Masterson
100 Court Avenue
Des Moiines, IA 50309
J.D., Drake University Law School, 2013
B.S. Finance (Summa Cum Laude), Upper Iowa University, 2009
Jeremy is a member of the firm’s Business Entities Practice Group, and provides clients with general business counsel and advice. He has worked with businesses of all types and sizes relative to business formation, mergers and acquisitions, real estate transactions, tax-exempt organizations, corporate succession planning, and estate planning.
Jeremy has the experience to assist in forming and protecting an organization and its owners or directors – whether it is for the development of general corporate documents, drafting a buy-sell agreement, serving as a registered agent, or preparing entities and their owners for catastrophic succession needs. He enjoys working with clients in choosing which business entity is right for their business and by ensuring the appropriate formalities are observed to protect both business and personal assets. He has worked extensively with healthcare professionals, as well as realtors and general contractors.
Prior to joining Ahlers & Cooney in 2020, Jeremy and Charlie Bottenberg were founding partners in the law firm, MB Law, based in Waukee, Iowa. Jeremy grew up in Des Moines, Iowa, where he graduated from Hoover High School in 2000. After high school, he enlisted in the Iowa Army National Guard and was deployed to Kosovo in 2003. Following his deployment, he attended night classes at Upper Iowa University while working full-time for Atlantic Coca-Cola Bottling. Jeremy graduated from Upper Iowa University with a degree in Finance. After eight years in the service, Jeremy was honorably discharged as a Staff Sergeant in 2011.
While at Drake Law School, Jeremy co-founded the Drake Business Law Society and helped provide support for a newly created Business Law Certificate. He interned for the Honorable Richard G. Blane II during the summer of his first year of law school, and also clerked for a general practice law firm in West Des Moines and was a member of the Drake Criminal Defense Clinic.
- Assisted numerous health care professionals as both buyers and sellers in asset and stock purchases.
- Represented several businesses during periods of transition and corporate structure change.
- Represented a General Contractor during a complete corporate re-structuring by assisting the owners in going from one general entity to a parent entity with several subsidiaries.
- Counsel individuals and boards of directors on business acquisitions and dispositions of assets and liabilities.
- Assist with the formation and operation of for-profit and tax-exempt organizations.
- Assist with the review and drafting of various business documents such as, joint venture agreements, independent contractor agreements, non-compete/solicitation agreements for professionals, and those related to business sales, including assets and stock purchase agreements, and promissory notes.
American Bar Association
Iowa State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
Drake Law School, Robert J. Kromming Award for excellence in clinical work
Drake Law School, Student Bar Association President’s Student Service Award
Upper Iowa University, Outstanding Senior Award for the Finance Bachelor of Science Degree Program
Upper Iowa University, Alumni Speaker Series, "A Non-Traditional Path," April 2022
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Drake University Law School, Adjunct Professor, Law Office Management, 2020
St. Francis of Assisi School, Board of Education 2019-2021, Vice Chair 2020
St. Francis of Assisi Knights of Columbus Council 12422, Former Advocate 2014-2017