J.D. (Honors), Drake University, 1976
B.A., University of Iowa, 1973
Dave Luginbill joined the firm in 1976. With over 40 years of litigation experience, Dave has lead counsel experience trying complex and difficult high-stakes litigation and routinely handles litigation through trial and/or appeal for clients in a wide range of litigation matters including commercial litigation, intellectual property, professional liability, products liability and transportation and trucking. Dave has represented national and international clients, as well as those of our clients located in Iowa. In recent years, his practice has focused on high-stakes products liability cases including a wide variety of consumer products, electronic devices, aviation accidents, industrial machinery and equipment, and mass tort litigation including pharmaceuticals, medical devices and asbestos.
He is called upon to serve as a strategic advisor to clients and to coordinate onsite accident investigation, management and control providing valuable guidance to manage the complex issues arising in major emergency and accident situations. He is also trained as a Mediator of the American Academy of ADR attorneys.
He serves as the firm liaison with The Harmonie Group, an affiliation of independent law firms practicing in all 50 states which provide a broad spectrum of legal services to corporations, insurance companies and claims administrators.
All Iowa Courts
U.S. District Courts – Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
U.S. Court of Appeals – Eighth Circuit
- Successfully obtained defense verdict at trial on behalf of an Iowa university wherein the plaintiff professor alleged the university had wrongfully denied him tenure.
- Acted as lead trial counsel representing an Iowa consumer product manufacturer in defense of a trademark infringement case which resulted through mediation in the development of a strategic business relationship between the parties and a dismissal of the claims.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for an insurance adjuster and insurance carrier sued for bad faith and negligence wherein Plaintiffs alleged the agent had failed to secure uninsured motorist coverage in connection with the Plaintiffs' purchase of motor vehicle insurance, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Acted as lead trial counsel and obtained summary judgment for a foreign corporation based on lack of minimum contacts to support jurisdiction over the Chinese manufacturer of bungee cords in a product liability case alleging plaintiff had lost an eye when the cord failed in use.
- Successfully obtained a complete dismissal in two medical malpractice cases on behalf of an emergency room physician and family doctor in defense of medical malpractice actions brought by a patient, at the estate of a deceased patient.
- Successfully obtained a complete dismissal on behalf of an Iowa attorney in a legal malpractice case wherein the Plaintiff alleged that his attorney had failed to properly handle his personal injury lawsuit which had been dismissed.
- Acted as lead trial counsel and obtained complete defense jury verdicts in three product liability trials against an international agricultural equipment manufacturer involving a farm tractor roll-over case and in two jury trials involving skid-steer loaders asserting personal injury and wrongful death.
- Acted as Iowa trial counsel and assisted in obtaining summary judgment on behalf of one of several pharmaceutical manufacturers in defense of claims of alleged transmission of HIV to hemophiliacs by blood factor medicines.
American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
American Bar Association – Sections: Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution
Iowa State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
International Association of Defense Counsel
American Board of Trial Advocates
Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
Defense Research Institute
Iowa Defense Counsel Association
Best Law Firms In Iowa - U.S. News & World Report, 2017 - 2018
American College of Trial Lawyers – Fellow, elected in 2017
The ACTL is composed of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada and is widely considered to be the premier professional trial organization in North America. The ACTL currently includes approximately 5,800 members, representing only 1% of lawyers in each state
Martindale-Hubbell® – AV® Rating
Cambridge Who’s Who – Lifetime Member
Best Lawyers in America© (2013-2019)
- Commercial Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Des Moines Lawyer of the Year 2019
Chambers USA – Litigation - General Commercial - Iowa (2009-2018)
Super Lawyers Great Plains – PI - Products: Defense (2007-2019)
Who's Who Legal: 2015 Products Liability Defense Lawyer
Global Law Experts - Ahlers & Cooney, P.C., Product Liability Litigation Law Firm of the Year for Iowa 2017
Iowa Defense Counsel Trial Academy – Faculty member
Iowa Defense Counsel Association, "The Amendments To The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure - Electronic Discovery"
Published Articles & Books
Agents of America, E&O Prevention e-newsletter, co-authored with Randall Stefani, "Iowa Supreme Court Heightens Duty Owed by an Insurance Agent," January 27, 2011
Iowa Defense Counsel Association, The Defense Update, Volume XVIII No. 4, "Electronic Discovery: Cooperation in Discovery is Consistent with Zealous Advocacy," Fall 2009
Professional, Community and Civic Leadership
Iowa Defense Counsel Association
Iowa Legal Aid, Volunteer Intake Attorney